Sellychan Fitness Banner

Sellychan Fitness Banner

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Gym Etiquette

Today I finally went back to the gym - it's about time! I don't know what came upon me the last week, but I was struggling quite a bit in terms of my fitness workouts and my eating habits. None the less, I have put this behind me. Hopefully IF it happens next time, I'll be able to handle it better. 

Today at the gym, there was this one older guy working out around me, and seeing the things he was doing really reminded me of "Gym Etiquette". To sum it up, he was following  close to none of those etiquettes. 

1. Phone Usage 
I think it's just polite to keep phone usage to minimal - whether that's to text or to talk on the phone. I personally, am not the greatest at this, because I often forget how to do a certain exercise properly. As a result, I have to pullout youtube and quickly search for the video. 

2. Hogging the Equipment
Sharing is caring. I think we've all known this for a long long time now. It just gets frustrating when people refuse to share equipment, or give you looks when you approach a machine they've just finished with! On certain days I like to do supersets throughout my workout. My little habit is I tend to leave my book and water bottle at one machine while I head off to the next machine. Never have I ever said no to someone who asked if they could use the unoccupied machine. I just kindly let them know that I'm doing supetsets, but they're free to use it while I'm away. If they ask to do more than just a couple sets, I've said okay and just took a 5 minute break. No big deal! 

3. Putting Weights Back
It is only courteous to put away something that you've used. This is something that all parents must teach their young ones. Sometimes it's confusing as to where different extra weights go, but at least take them off the cable and put it by the machine or on a hook. Putting on 3 extra 5lb flat bars and leaving it is just annoying for the next person who has to clean up after you. 

4. Dropping Weights (on the ground or on resistance machines) 
There is often certain areas of the gym that is meant for heavy weight lifting (and dropping). When you're throwing your dumbbell on the ground, not only is it annoying, it's dangerous. Not to mention the greater risk of you dropping it on your foot. For resistance machines, there's nothing more annoying than to hear someone's weights hitting the stack. Either you need to readjust the seat/height of the machine, or you're just not doing it right. 

5. Misuse of Gym Equipment
This happens the most often, but it's understandable. I've probably misused a few machines myself since I've started my new workout plan, but the key is to ask the fitness trainees on facility for help. Some machines are a little harder to navigate, but some things are just straight common sense. To see a man in his mid 20's attempting to bounce a medicine ball is just pathetic and annoying (this was something I witnessed today). 

6. Lack of Personal Hygiene
PLEASE use deoderant. There's nothing more disgusting than being in a tiny gym and having the person next to you stink up all the air around you. And you shouldn't just use deodorant at the gym - it should be a daily thing. Having a stank and breaking a sweat at the same time isn't the greatest combo. This also includes cleaning up after yourself and the machines you use. I have a bad habit of constantly wiping the sweat off my forehead when I'm using the treadmill. This often results in me touching the handle bars and leaving my sweat there. But no fret - I make sure I wipe it all down afterwards. 


To sum up the disturbance of my workout today, this gentlemen was hogging well over 5 different cable resistance machines. The way the gym is set up, the seated cable row, lat pulldown, and 3 different arm curl resistance machines are all in one area beside the dumbbell rack. This guy would essentially do random cycles within all 5 of these machines, AS WELL as swinging his dumbbells in front of the mirrors and letting the weights drop on the resistance machines. He had a bad attitude when it came to sharing, as when I went to use the unoccupied machines he would always give me a side glare. Not to mention he left all the extra weights on the machine too. And when he was finally done hogging everything, he proceeded to get up and just walk away, with no knowledge of the need to clean all the machines he had just used. Gross. 

He disappeared for a while on the other side of the gym afterwards, so I was able to finish off my workout - which was solid today :) 

Until next time! xoxo 


No comments:

Post a Comment