Sellychan Fitness Banner

Sellychan Fitness Banner

Friday, June 14, 2013

Something I Noticed About Society (at work)...

As a student, the financial aspect of my life can get a little chaotic when it comes to that time of the year where I have to pay a lump of bills and tuition. Fortunately, I work in the restaurant service industry so things don't get too too bad. 

What I wanted to really discuss today are the people I encounter at work, as well as the few issues I've come across. 

The overly kind people
These people are just naturally too nice - we need more of these people in society. They thank you for everything - practically every time you stop by their table. 

The "woke up on wrong side of bed" people
Or also known as the not so friendly ones. It always throws me off when I encounter them, because it kind of makes it hard for me to do my job. I want to bring the best for your dining experience, and if you're constantly pulling a :|  face, it's hard for me to smile back without feeling like a bimbo. 

The stingy people
When it comes to stingy people, there are essentially two types: The people who eat like their they king but cheap out on their tip, and the people who are just straight up dirt cheap. I think a big part of society fails to recognize that some servers depend on tips for a living. With the whole "you're already getting paid by your employer" argument set aside, I'd like to shed some light on the not so great life of a server. 

In Canada, the government has regulated a "alcohol service minimum wage". What this is, for those of you who don't know, a minimum wage for any servers that serve alcohol at a regular basis. As a result, this allows restaurant owners to cut their costs by paying  a part of their employes lower wages. 

With that said, I dare to say that PEOPLE ARE EXPECTED TO TIP. The government did not simply enlist this minimum wage without knowing that servers are expected to get tipped. As for the amount, I truly believe that this depends on the atmosphere of the restaurant and the service of your server. 


The obnoxiously rude people
These individuals just drive you bonkers. Clearly they were raised being taught no manners, and they treat you like a slave. They don't ASK you for things, they COMMAND you. They don't thank you either, and have minimal patience. They expect you to be waiting by their table like a dog, awaiting their commands. 


Overall, I wouldn't say I love my job. I'm doing my job because I simply need to make money for a living. On days when I've got happy customers, the day goes by faster. On days when I have a pool of obnoxious or stingy people, it honestly just becomes a pain in the ass to be there. My bottom line is, I'm here to do my job and make a living, not to be your personal slave. It would be appreciated if you treated us with more respect. At the end of the day, we're all human too.  :)

P.S. This image was too funny to not share




No comments:

Post a Comment