Sellychan Fitness Banner

Sellychan Fitness Banner

Friday, January 23, 2015

Feeling Unproductive? It Might Be the Mercury Retrograde (01/23)


Aloha readers! 

So after reading the title of this post you might be going "Mercury Retrograde? What on Earth is Selly talking about?" 

Planets in our solar system are always orbiting around the Sun and spinning on it's own axis. Three or four times a year, Mercury's orbital path reaches a retrograde phase - a phase where Mercury appears to stop and and starts spinning backwards, known as Mercury Retrograde. 
In Astrology, Mercury rules communication, clear thinking, truth, and travelling. So when the planet starts going backwards, well, some of these things can start going backwards too. 
(http://debraclementastrologer.com/free-astrology-chart/mercury-retrograde-2015) 

So what sort of things would you typically expect with Mercury Retrograde? Well, from personal experience - bizarre arguments, incoherent thoughts, lack of focus and motivation, and electronic issues - are very probably of happening, and trust me, I'm going through all of that right now! 

Not only has it empowered my lack of motivation for school, but it has made me feel extra lazy and unproductive. I'm having a hard time getting myself up out of bed and going to the gym when I'm on school campus. And when I do get there, my mind is all over the place - I just can't seem to focus on doing one thing at a time. 

So what can you do and shouldn't you do during periods of time like this? 
Do's: 
- review your contracts and agreements before signing them; whether it be bank loans, student loan payments, signing on new training clients, etc. 
- pause, take a deep breath, and think about things before saying them out aloud. Remember, bizarre arguments may happen when you least expect it! 
- get your vehicle checked out if anything has looked odd recently, and always give yourself some buffer room for travelling time 
- backup your electronic devices ASAP to avoid losing any important contacts or file information 
- reflect upon some previous commitments you've made, and renew them - rather than making new commitments (this goes back to the signing contract and agreements point) 

Dont's: 
- don't sign new contracts or agreements (sorry! looks like personal training client contracts will have to wait a little bit) 
- jump to conclusions on problems or jump into impulsive decisions 
- procrastinate / leave later than planned for scheduled meetings or travelling arrangements 
- starting anything new before thoroughly completely, and reflecting upon what's already on your to-do list 

As quoted in MindBodyGreen.com, there is something good to take out of this retrograde 

The silver lining? Mercury retrograde is a great opportunity to handle unfinished business. Most of us start a million things that we don't complete, never realizing how much psychic clutter this creates. The retrograde is a chance to tie up loose ends and create a clear vision for the future. Take advantage of it, and you'll emerge fresh and ready when Mercury goes direct.
So if you've been feeling down, unproductive, or just darn right out of the blue - don't worry, you're probably not the only one feeling this way. But don't let this be an excuse to keep continuing on like this. Being aware of it means you can be proactive and make some changes.

I'm going to use this time to reflect upon why I want to finish studying my Nutrition degree, and what it means to me personally. I'm going to reflect upon what I had to do in order to get to where I am today, and plan out what I can do - and not do - to continue onwards in that path. 
I'm going to reflect upon the big ideas and plans I have for myself in the upcoming years, but rather than letting that overwhelm me and stress me out, I'm going to start envisioning the pieces of bricks I can lay down to get me to those big plans in the future. 
And finally, I'm going to reflect upon how some things I have no control over, and rather than letting it stress me out and fill me with anxiety, I am going to take a step back from whatever it is I'm doing, do some breathing exercises, and remind myself of what I am capable of doing - and give it my best efforts. 

Until next time. 

Cheers 

xoxo

1 comment: